Wednesday 25 April 2007

Jobs and so on

To my own surprise I find myself still gainfully employed as a library assistant with one of the UK’s foremost universities. It is a daily returning pleasure to see today’s young bright stars playing hard at being students. It is in many ways a rewarding set of surroundings in which to make a living, even if my specific job at times proves slightly less than stimulating.

Recently, I applied for a job with the main library’s special collections department. If accepted this would have meant spending one day a week working in that fascinating department, dealing with interesting queries from researchers and scholars from around the world, and handling priceless materials and rare books and archives.

As it turned out I never got to the stage of being interviewed and the administrative person in charge of taking care of applicants for the job never acknowledged receipt of my application. Moreover, she only notified me of the fact that I would not be invited for interview once the process of interviewing hopefuls was well and truly in full swing. No top marks for communicating skills. Oh well..a library drone on a modest grade is what I’m destined to be for a while longer.

It’s funny. I never imagined ending up working in a library, it is merely what I stumbled upon a long time ago. And it is not a bad way to make a living; just not a very exciting one. The thing I need to remind myself of is that to make a success of being a writer you first need to write a successful book. Perhaps I will go and do that right now..

2 comments:

Di Hill said...

It is all part of the journey Lionheart. I feel for you. Only a few weeks ago I was wallowing too - without a job, and only getting rejection letters. Eventually I got an interview (but not the job) but out of left field came my new job. It's given me breathing space and money - but I was pretty desperate. I know it is all part of the journey - and things will change. Keep applying for those better jobs.

Richard James said...

Thanks, Di. You're absolutely right. In my heart of hearts I often tell myself to be more philosophical about these kind of knocks. I'd love to be more mellow and chilled out but I think it's my Celtic blood that gets me going sometimes..
'Breathing space and money' sounds good,though..
You never know what's lurking around the corner, I know full well.
Thanks for your comment!