Saturday 17 December 2011

Rock-salt, a winter's tale

Even though I tend to live my life these days in somewhat balmier climes, I have ample experience with having to deal with rather severe winters. In the Netherlands, where I grew up, and also in parts of the United Kingdom where I lived for quite a long time, it can get pretty darn cold during the winter months. 

I remember when the temperatures used to drop suddenly during a cold snap and invariably the roads would become quite dangerous because of sleet and black ice. And then you would see the council trucks appear like the cavalry in a cheesy western, in this case dispersing vast amounts of grit in a huge effort to keep traffic moving at a pace. 

 But of course, people’s own drives turn tricky and slippery as well and that is when you should use rock-salt to avoid any nasty accidents on your driveway or foot path. We cannot help winter arriving and cold temperatures but we certainly can make our drives safe with the use of rock-salt.

No comments: