Tuesday 22 May 2012

Inspiration

Went along to an author's talk at my local library the other day. The writer performing was one Peter Coriss, who had penned many crime fiction novels. The talk was okay, not overwhelming and I have to admit that I have little interest in crime novels. Also, he seemed a bit too proud of his anti-Christian prejudices but I was heartened to note the audience responding in lukewarm fashion to a few of his jibes. But, it was a free event, organised by the library and the Sydney Writers Festival so I was happy enough to partake.

What made it inspirational was the fact here we had a seventy-year old writer, successfully enjoying the attention of his readership in a rather laid-back manner, taking questions with a measure of grace. It was fun to see him in action. He'd obviously done this many times but it made me think. It made me realise it may not be too late for me to gain some literary success before I'm put out to pasture. It was, all things considered, food for thought..

No comments: