Wednesday 5 September 2007

The Creative Mind

Ever since I was old enough to hold a pen my only wish was to one day be a successful author. I would envisage living somewhere in a leafy avenue or in the country, comfortably nestled in my study, quietly and contendedly working away on yet another masterpiece of international literature. At some point my darling wife would come into the room to bring me a refreshing drink, saying something like: "Won't you call it a night, love? A genius can only do so much work in a day."

The reality was, I'm sort of glad to day, a lot more mundane. I still think I have one great work of prose in me but over the past fifteen years or so I have sought my refuge in poetry. I have written haiku in Dutch but most of my verse output has been in that angelic English language. I have self-published some of my books and in the early stages I narrowly avoided being taken for a ride by the vanity presses.

I think it's a dream of many people to become a professional writer. It's hard to defeat the romantic notion of the accomplished scribe. But it's not easy to get noticed by the big publishing houses and that's why I have used print-ond-demand services to get my works published.

Lateron I launched Ancient Heart Magazine which developed into a much loved poetry journal with a following of new poets from around the globe. Whether I will ever write that one great book I am slowly starting to doubt. Everyday cares have a tendency to distract from that destiny.
And now I'm looking into photography as a new passion. I need a few more lifetimes..



Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: