Friday 11 April 2008

The wonderful Lake District


I love England. There, I’ve said it. From the rolling South Downs to the hustle and bustle of London and its attractions to the many wonderful districts and shires that abound with natural beauty. I live in the West Country myself, close to the wondrous landscapes of Dartmoor and Exmoor and Cornwall beyond. But, if I am totally honest with myself I have to admit that probably the most beautiful part of England that I have seen so far has to be the stunning Lake District. What a truly outstanding area with its fens and mesmerizing lakes.

I was very struck with the quality of the landscape around Lake Windermere when I was up there a few months ago. The lake itself, of course, is wonderfully pretty and the surrounding mountains very elegiac and melancholy. Perhaps I will go back to the Lake District to go camping or perhaps we will go self catering Lake District , which seems like a very good option to stay in that fascinating area.

I think that what I loved most about the Lake District was that it is rugged and delicately pretty at the same time, which seems like a most alluring and enchanting combination. And, of course, the field are so very green it is dazzling. Fields strewn with giant rocks and boulders; forests and lakes, hills and mountains; it is all there to be enjoyed.







No comments: