Sunday 16 November 2008

Don't go there

When you travel you get to learn to adapt and enjoy whatever twists and turns the road ahead delivers. You know when to be philosophical when things are not exactly ideal or as you would have expected them to be. This is only natural. And, of course you will have your preferences and predilections when it comes to travelling and vacation destinations. For me, having travelled around Europe and a bit in Asia and Australia, I have definite favourites when it comes to which places I enjoyed the most.

If I had to say to someone don't go there because chances are you will not like it, I would have to offer large parts of the city of Athens as a potential candidate. I loved seeing the Acropolis, which towers over the otherwise grimy and monotonous sprawl of a city. Also, the old Turkish area of the Plakka is worthwhile. But when it comes to the joys of travel I would have gladly skipped most of Athens. It is a huge place and quite dirty and most of the uninspired architecture is of concrete and almost identical to every other building in the city.

I loved Greece but thought that parts of Athens were just quite awful. And I am not even mentioning the pollution and smog. Well, I have now, so there. If you find yourself in Athens make sure you escape to one of the wonderful islands and you’ll be okay.

Dontgothere

Post?slot_id=25116&url=http%3a%2f%2fsocialspark

No comments: