Thursday 11 November 2010

The arts, my passion

The arts have always had my fascination. I was always impressed with the way creative people seem to be able to turn the mundane into the miraculous, the prosaic into poetry. And that is why I chose early on to engage myself in several creative pursuits. I remember purchasing my very first typewriter and sitting behind it, feeding it a magical empty white sheet of paper and penning my first poems, inevitably replete with teenage angst and forlorn anguish.

I also spent many happy hours painting in oil colours whilst living in Amsterdam. I still quite fond of some of these pictures that saw the light during that phase in my life. Writing, painting and, another passion of mine, photography are all important to me. I know little (too little) of the technical aspects of photography but I comfort myself with the thought that I do know how to take a good image and with the fact that I have an eye for composition and perspective.

Another thing I found out was how it can sometimes be beneficial to exchange ideas with likeminded fellow artists. That is why joining a Photography Forum or some other discussion platform for the arts can be really rewarding.

No comments: