Monday 20 August 2007

Driving to Evesham

We went to see friends of ours yesterday who live near Evesham. This is about an hour and a half drive away through some really lovely countryside. I love the English country and there are few things that give me more pleasure than a leisurely drive along the long and winding roads of this green land.

Of course, the weather was abysmal and the windscreen wipers were earning their keep. You have to remember that there is a reason why England is so very green and that is, in a word, rain. And plenty of it. Even the recent floods notwithstanding it tends to rain often here.

In the part of the country where I live the weather is usually quite mild, due to the gulf stream that warms up the South-Western corner of Britain. In the seven years that I have been living in this part of England I have never been cold during the winter season. And you see people out in shorts and short sleeves all year round, including in the months of December and January; something that seemed crazy to me in the beginning.

While at Heathrow the ecomentalists are still protesting against the weather, I cast a weary eye out of the window only to see it’s a grey and sullen day.

If only it would rain again, that would be something.


Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: