Friday 29 August 2008

Politics

I've never quite understood what is is that impels people to seek public office. Is it a genuine heartfelt wish to serve others, to help other people? Perhaps. Or is is some vainglorious pursuit of power at all costs? Quite possibly. I would not want to live in the public eye and have my every move traced and every word uttered scrutinized. That would be my worst nightmare.

But of course people enter politics at much lower levels as well. For instance, some people run for the local council and try to 'make a difference'. An aptitude for cliche-mongering would seem to be a prerequisite for budding politicians. I've always enjoyed the meaningless slogan 'Change!'. Change from what and change towards what exactly?

Oh well. If power corrupts then it follows that politics corrupt. Not my bag..



Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: