Thursday 17 May 2007

A drive in the country

My darling wife and I went to visit some friends in Hampshire on the weekend. To get there from Bristol we needed to cross through North-East Somerset and Wiltshire. The route cuts straight through the enigmatic Salisbury Plain, a large wild area of which quite a few parts are designated for Army training purposes.
I love the English countryside; the winding roads, the grey-stone cottages, the country pubs and the rolling hills, the incredibly green fields all around.
I grew up in Holland and lived most of my life there in the urbanised western part of the country. There were rural pastures to be found there but nothing every really spoke to me in the way that the English countryside does.
The sun was out, traffic was light, and it was a joy just to meander down through the lush scenery. It was a pleasure to be alive that day.

No comments: