Saturday 5 May 2007

Flying visit

Just got back from a few days in Holland to be present at my brother's wedding in the little town of Gouda. The ceremony was held in the marvellous fourteenth century Gothic town hall and was typically informal and relaxed. The women in the wedding party were tearful and happy, the groom proud of his new wife, and all was well with the world.

The flight to Amsterdam from Bristol only takes just under an hour which is less time than it takes me to get to work in the morning. I usually sort of enjoy the experience of flying but am also relieved the moment the airplane touches down on Terra Firma again.

I think we're all ultimately alone on take-off and touch down as the sense of mortally makes an impact. I tend to mutter my routine of quick prayers just to ease my heart and mind and mostly it works well.

It was good to come back to Bristol. Although I've lived in Holland for thirty years it is no longer my home. I loved seeing the lights of towns and villages as we flew over dear old Blighty spread underneath. Home is indeed where the heart is and mine belongs here in England.

Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: