Saturday 4 September 2010

Horizons

The Greenies are coming. Hide, run away! I never imagined the philosophy of greenism and environmentalism would ever take off to the extent that it has. Back in the eighties the green mob were a few hippie reject and sixties throw backs that no one took any real notice of to be honest. They always seem to be ranting about something or other and it always seemed a very obscure obsession they seemed to be entertaining at any given time. Of course, looking after the planet's resources is not so crazy when you think about it and, as long as we don't have to go back and live in caves again and reinvent the wheel, it makes sense to look after our very own habitat as best we can. I do not think we should wreck our economy just to prove an ideological point though, but that is my opinion. The bills will still need to be paid and we can not all be professional protesters and subsidised activists.

But I have to admit that I hate pollution and I hate waste of any kind. I loathe people littering the streets and just not caring about how they leave the space behind for others who may come after them. I hate wasting food as well as that is precious. Of course, these days we also have ewaste and we will need to find ways to recycle and deal with our many electronic gadgets and computers. This of course needs to be done sensibly.

So, will we be heading for a Green tomorrow? I just hope we can find a balance between the attainable and the desirable. Mankind is hugely adaptable so there is hope for us. Let us keep our chins up, that is what I say!

No comments: