Wednesday 8 September 2010

Love is the drug

How many people really listen to what is being said, or sung, these days? I ask you. For instance, many people love the beautiful warm sounds of that Stranglers hit 'Golden Brown', but do they know the song's lyrics are actually about heroin and heroin addiction? 'Never a frown, with golden brown'. I once heard a theory that the Chinese introduced heroin to the West as an act of vengeance because of the Opium Wars and the way Western colonial powers subjected the Chinese people to opium dependency in order to make a fortune with the Indian poppy crops. Who knows? I have dabbled in some softer stuff but these days I have to day that I am very wary of anything that could lead to an addiction in whatever shape or form. Addiction is a horrible thing and it is a very nasty feeling to realise one is a slave to a mere substance. The mind plays tricks and is truly a very powerful thing.

When we least expect it, our strong resolve may crumble and we can give in to a longing for exulation and escape from everyday worries and cares. But real life is never far behind and you simply cannot run away from yourself no matter how fast you run. Your inner demons will outrun you until you manage to lay them to rest. Some people manage their desires and cravings for stimuli. I remember reading about William Burroughs but I never found that sort of life story very uplifting by any means. I focus these days on lighter aspects of life and a more wholesome approach to the big questions. I can but try.

Some remedies from addiction can work really well, so people should perhaps realise that there is help out there for those who need it. Take heart. Life is hard but also quite wonderful. At least that it what I like to think.

No comments: