Saturday 11 September 2010

Love in a cold climate

For me, life and love are miraculous notions. But then I am a poet and I am truly enchanged with life and the glorious creation, with its many wonderful manifestations that I confront on a daily basis. If I did not think life was special or even magical in any way I would see little point in living to be brutally frank. I do not really think the reductionist relativism that pervades large sections of the Western world these days is very healthy. To me it seems quite pathological. Consider for instance the vehement vitriol poured onto believers by people who are atheist evangelicals. They get really upset at the very thought that there are huge numbers of people out there who do believe in a higher force. If they honestly believed their lack of faith was justified and that religion and spirituality were just nonsense, then why are they getting so worked up about it? Very suspicious.

I cannot hold with a philosophy that claims that life as we know is a mere cosmic accident and inherently meaningless in every way. Also, it seems much more far fetched as well to believe that this dazzling creation just happened for no reason at all, even though as far as we know there is nothing on planets around us to compare even remotely to what we have on our hands right here on terra firma. Ah well.

But love is love and love is grand and I wonder what an atheist makes of the concept of love. A mere chemical reaction? I wonder. And what would atheist dating look like? Good luck to them anyway. It takes all kinds and we are all God's children after all, even if we don't realise it. Yet.

No comments: