Wednesday 8 September 2010

Telly man

I loves my TV. There, I have only gone and darn well said it. One of my favourite childhood yarns is one that my dear old mum loves to tell and it goes a little like this. When I was a wee little nipper of a lad, growing up in West Sydney, my mother would often be working the laundry in.erm..the laundry only to hear me laughting my head off in the lounge room. Naturally she would investigate at once and would find me parked in front of the television set, cracking up over the funny shenanigans of the Three Stooges. This was an early introduction both to comedy and the medium of television. In later years, fond experiences were to be had when the family had retired for the night with just me left in the lounge room, watching some odd Italian art film on one of the more obscure public telly channels. This, by then, was in Holland. I remember watching Amarcord for the very first time, in a darkly lit room, late at night, with no one around to see it but me. It felt like no one else in the whole world was watching those snowflakes twirl down at precisely that time.

Ah..memories. And I used to love some cheesy sitcoms as well. Not so much the American ones where they always had to include some moral imperative at the end but just fun stuff like Mork and Mindy, Family Ties, Happy Days.

My family also watched The Love Boat and Fantasy Island religiously. Lateron I came to appreciate Dutch intellectual talkshows as well, for instance those presented by the late Theo van Gogh, so brutally murdered for defending free speech and Western democratic ideals.

Of course these days you do not have to limit your self to the telly set. You can have your TV Online and access a whole universe of programming. Tis a brave new world out there, I tells ya! Even with the supposedly dumbed down nature of television, I still regard it as a sophisticated medium with, still, a great potential for broadcasting amazing content, online or otherwise..

Let us hear it for good telly. You just cannot beat it, that is my humble opinion and I stand by it even though I am sitting down while I write these lines. So there!

No comments: