Saturday 20 October 2007

The garden office

I wonder what the virtues are of Garden Offices and Buildings when you think about it. Most men love the relative sanctuary that a good private shed may offer but have you ever thought of what it would be like to have a proper office or building in the garden? It would certainly be a private den in a nice setting. I do most of my writing in our study which doubles as a guest bedroom. This is fine although at times it seems as though it also functions as a first floor attic or indoor shed.

I could use a dedicated workspace and to build something lasting in the garden could be a viable option, to be sure. Some of those garden constructions these days really look the business. They are a far cry from the usual dank shabby sheds that we know and love so well. I would love a nice little building with some decoration, set in the back of the garden where I would have all the privacy and peace and quiet I need.

Obviously, there would be electricity and heating if needed, so it would not be a case of roughing it or enduring any camping-like hardships. It could be a real chance for a private workspace where I, who fancies himself as a bit of a writer, could work and scribble away in tranquillity.

The garden should be a haven of peace, with perhaps a nicely kept lawn, some flowerbeds, plants and trees. In a way, a garden is a grove where you can escape the cares of the world, the mundane reality of modern life where at any one moment you can be called upon. Just think about mobile phones et cetera. To withdraw to a garden office and forget about anything else apart from the work in hand would be bliss.

It could be a grand idea indeed!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shedworking is definitely the way forward. Have a look at my site at http://www.shedworking.co.uk and, when it comes out, my book next year published by The Friday Project, Shedworking: the alternative workplace revolution.