Monday 5 November 2007

Frankie Boyle live on stage




Got back yesterday afternoon from a weekend spent in London. We went to see the Scottish comedian Frankie Boyle at the Arts Theatre in the West End. It was amazing to see just how many people were out and about in the Leicester Square area on Saturday night. It was extremely lively, to say the least. It was a small venue, very intimate and close to the stage. Frankie left us waiting a bit but in the end, at about 9.45 PM he appeared on stage. He launched into heckling a few people on the front row, as you do, but it was fairly good-humoured.

His routine was as I would have imagined: very funny and brutally cynical. It was a pity that we had heard quite a few of his biting one-liners in his appearances on television but I had a really good night and, at times, laughed my head off. One of his gags was about how to go about meeting women. He said he’d taken to dressing up his three-year old daughter in a pink T-shirt with the text saying: ‘My mummy is dead and my father is single.’

He didn’t carry on for very long. His show lasted for about an hour which I thought wasn’t that impressive. Although he cracked me up on several occasions perhaps I had to admit that his comedy does have its limitations. Who knows? Perhaps he just needs to develop his comedic touches more.

We had a good night out and made our way back to the hotel on the Tube, which, even at that time of night, was very busy. London; what a town!






Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: